Rock on Kansas City

Sunday, July 31

Bam!

I just expunged and what was 54 messages became 8. That's a good feeling.

I continued reading a book I put down last year that contains interviews from 20 "celebrated" directors about the experience of shooting their first movie. Kevin Smith is asked, "Do you think you're progressing as a director?" He lists his improvements, ending with "I have learned more about the camera. I learned the difference between a 50mm and 100mm lens." He has learned this since he sold his first feature-length film for $270,000. A film which was a gigantic financial success and did not do bad critically, either. I know the difference between a 50mm and a 100mm lens.

He also said that Clerks contained "subtext of not knowing what to do with one's life. And complaining about it or feeling lost and realizing...that you just have to do something...All the whining in the world isn't going to produce results." I can't even make a movie over 2 months in the summer. I miss it. I want to direct films. Maybe I should go to film school. Ang Lee applied with a Super-8 film he had made. I have one of those (his was better).

I suppose I will always have the option of Culinary School.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home