Rock on Kansas City

Thursday, June 24

Such and such.

First, a public apology. In my last post, the statement "Even Nina got an awesome IS internship that she doesn't even like..." was not intended to be a degradatory statement against one Ms. Vishwanath but merely meant to point out that the grass seems always to be greener on the other side of the fence. However, I can easily see how that could be interpreted otherwise, so it has been duly changed.

It is fantastic to me how much theory, practice, and understanding can go into a concept as seemingly simple as improvisation. The book I am reading at present says the same thing over and over and over again, a point I knew was being argued from the first few lines, but it is an interesting point and thus I read onwards. For the first time since I've been AD I felt like I was doing good improv at the last workshop, populated by Gerrit, Zach Harris, CourtK, Ken Tew, and, of course, the Snow White of Quebec. I felt like it was me and that teaching and running things was causing me to lose all focus I once had on improv itself. Then I thought maybe this book had something to do with it. It makes a lot of sense, yet the way the author presents improv, it would be unteachable. He doesn't seem to think it's true (and he is director of a troupe), but still.

Not to mention the fact that NPP and TheatreCraft are looming over my head to some extent. While I think I can try my best at both as much as anyone can, I'm just a 20 year old kid who doesn't really know much about theatre. As always, I think my ideology about NPP and my concept for TC are very good, but implementing them is a daunting and tiring task. But to be honest, I don't know how well I do, but I am looking forward to it anyway. I know it sounds contradictory, but I can't wait to have more people than I know what to do with again at workshops. To be able to see people actually start to progress and develop skills (both in NPP and TC). But I am crazy. I also would love to play in an SnS pit some day, Tyson is talking about projection work for LITTLE SHOP that sounds really awesome, I have to struggle with myself day after day not to let myself audition for Little Shop and my class schedule, awesome and exciting the classes are, is most definitively going to be my most challenging.

I should really start studying for my final tomorrow. I am excessively glad to have spent a minimal amount of time over the course of 6 weeks to knock off a stupid requirement.

2 Comments:

  • Ah, the Snow White of Quebec. She had greeeeeeeeeeat hair.
    -Z

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:39 PM  

  • I heart Beej Gray.

    By Blogger Tyson, at 4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home