Rock on Kansas City

Thursday, July 22

So much life, so little time.

My sister is no longer coming to visit me this weekend.  It's a little sad because she's tried to twice now and has yet to come.  But she just graduated and is in that awkward sort of transitional period between college and life, she bought a car and has been spending time with her boyfriend in Nashville (and apparently just signed a lease with him there), so I can understand.  But I haven't seen her nearly enough since she got back from Spain and I was quite looking forward to an excuse to go see some things in Pissburgh.

In other news, how can I honestly fill up any amount of time I ever have at work?  I used to get bored at work, then I started playing Spybotics, and then I remembered the ass-loads of stuff I have to do this summer.  I managed to complete a scholarship application for a $5,000 annual scholarship with an internship possibility attached, but have been updating my resume and hunting recommendation letters for it.  I also got a lot of TheatreCraft stuff done, so now we just have to wait and schedule.  Greg said he's interested in doing our web design, which is always good, but it means we have to scrape together all the information and come up with some architecture, etc.

On the improv front, my whole summer has been turning out to be a crazy experience.  I think that every 4 days I start thinking in an entirely new way.  I've actually had to stop myself from mentioning the word improv in my head when I start to sleep because I know it will snowball into a tyrade of insomniac thoughts.  What do I think about?  All sorts of things.  Ways to teach more effectively, how to address certain existing problems, how to prepare for the inevitable fall problems, how to improve my own improv, the slew is unending.  The worse part is I feel differently about it all the time.  I was burned out at the end of my freshman year, then got elected AD and shifted my focus entirely, now I don't even know anymore.  The worst part is, it's half over.  It seems like it's been forever, but I still can't believe that after one semester, I'll be congratulating some new up and comer.  But at the same time, I wish I had less to do so I could focus even more on it.  NPP is my number 1 extracurricular priority next semester, but that still leaves the insanity of my classes in front of it and the pressure of TC shortly behind (though Courtney and Kami know I won't be doing a whole lot in the fall).  This entry is a stream of ramblisciosness.

I also should really get going on this Fifth Year Scholar thing.  Do I really want to do it?  I don't know.  Maybe.  Yes.  No.  Who knows?  I want to go abroad, but there's no time I can do it.  I just want to stay in college forever!!!  I know that no one says that.  Everyone wants to get out.  And part of me is excited to put this place behind me.  But I am just so happy doing what I am doing right now.

Hmm...sorry about these crazy elated emotional posts lately.  At least it beats Depression Blast 2k4 of last semester.

3 Comments:

  • Aw, Beej. I'm sorry your sister isn't coming. But hey, I hear there's going to be a surprise at this Decemberween in July party over at Semler's place Saturday night. You might want to check it out.

    I hope improv doesn't hurt your head too much. I appreciate all the work you put into it, but I hope you can relax and enjoy it, too. I hope you keep the Teaching Group going this year so for some workshops you can unravel and just perform instead of teaching. Not that you shouldn't teach-- you're awesome. But even the Beejster needs to have fun.

    And don't forget, the Ass Dungeon still lives on.

    By Blogger Tyson, at 7:00 PM  

  • brian brian,
    first of all, lots of people want to stay in college forever. in fact i rarely hear people say they wanna leave--they usually just wanna get the heck out of whatever city they're in. this happens often in pgh.
    second, i forgot to mention in my ridiculous email that the summer between your two AD semesters is ALWAYS like this. so let the craziness swirl around in your brain; it's supposed to. you're gonna grab the reins like nobody else come september.
    lisa

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:28 AM  

  • I second Gerrit. College rulez.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home