Rock on Kansas City

Tuesday, November 16

Darwin sucks.

So as I was driving down Liberty the other day, a horrible thought occured to me. The fact is that natural selection only works in a very primitive environment. Such an environment include a number of animals. Some are intelligent and can find food, others are stupid and cannot. The stupid die.

Fast forward to present day. This is an environment far from the one previously described. Food comes not from intelligence but from financial means, two very independent descriptors. In fact, natural selection (if it truly models human survival) is doing nothing but hurting us. Bear with me for a bit, as I make a number of stark stereotypical generalizations. I assure you it's only to argue a point.

At present, there are intellectuals in our country and the world at large. They are reasonable people who often procreate or adopt but usually not in obscene numbers. If we assume that a large number of them are progressive or liberal, then many of them are arguably more likely to be in same-sex relationships (than what? we'll see later). While adoption is an option, again this is likely to spawn less children overall than the alternative. I could go on and on here, but the point is they don't have excessive numbers of children.

There are also the less intellectual (read: red states 2k4). These people (and I can say this as I often use it to describe my dad's side of my family) often have little to do but work and procreate. They do a lot of the latter. When you think of your typical southern hick (i.e. Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel), you see a guy with a wife-beater and 14 children. Further, they are much more likely to raise their children on, as my sister's boyfriend from Dallas could attest to, "Texas values" or other value systems that include ideals like "them gays are sinners and will burn in hell eventually" and "we shoulda turned iraq into a parking lot on 9/12."

Now I realize I am making harsh generalizations, but this thought was sparked by a trinket of discussion on NPR. Namely that the number of new children born to registered Republicans each year is much greater than the corresponding proportion of Democrats. And in fact the Republican number is growing at a much greater rate than the Democrat number.

What is the answer? NPR guy said that the Democrats need to acknowledge this and start to solve the problem somehow. I say to the Democrats of the world, get naked! (when of course you have found someone you will always love and are prepared to bring children into the world). Make some more reasonable intelligent people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home