Rock on Kansas City

Monday, November 22

Public cry for assisstance.

Let's be frank folks, I have bad posture. You may have noticed me standing straight looks more like Shaggy standing straight. My big lanky body can't support the weight of my head and so it all just slumps around. When I sit anywhere, I always have my legs propped up and usually in a way that contorts my back into a big C.

I've always know this was a problem, but when my mother and grandmother would correct my posture and tell me I would grow up to be a hunchback, I laughed it off and went right back to my slouchy lifestyle.

But lately it's been getting progressively worse. I have now had a pain in my lower back (I thought I felt old before) for 3 days. It's so painful. I am finally getting to a point that I always thought Alex was unbelieveable for, namely that my back sometimes hurts unless it's curved. That's bad news bears. Spines shouldn't want to be curved. They should want to be straight.

So please. I beg of you. Help me. I have tried to keep my back straight but it is nearly impossible to remember to straighten your back all the time when you've lived 20 years of your life in a state of perpetual curvature. So if I am sitting or standing near you, go ahead. Do that thing where you put one hand on my shoulder and the other on the apex of my spinal curve and bring your hands together on the horizontal plane. Or just tell me to stand straight. Seriously.

I don't want to be a hunchback.

2 Comments:

  • i used to have the same prob, bob! it's the curse of being tall and lanky. what i did was engage in activities that counter-act, b/c trying to think to do it all the time DOES NOT WORK. so swim and dance a good deal. and occasionally lift. i swear it works.

    i should start doing those things again, so you wanna go together?

    By Blogger Adam Atkinson, at 11:59 PM  

  • umm..yeah. totally. and most seriously. especially the dancing. and the swimming. oh, and the lifting. especially those.

    By Blogger Brian, at 5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home